Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread
With the added goodness of the whole wheat starter and flour, this dough can be used either to make loaves or to shape into sandwich or dinner rolls.
Yield: 1 loaf
Small Loaf (1 lb. bread machine)
- ½ cup, plus 3 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp vegetable oil
- ¾ cup whole wheat sourdough starter (see link below for recipe)
- 2¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1½ tsp RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
Medium Loaf (1½ lb. bread machine)
- ¾ cup, plus 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole wheat sourdough starter (see link below for recipe)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
Large Loaf (2 lb. bread machine)
- 1 cup plus 3 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1¼ cup whole wheat sourdough starter (see link below for recipe)
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- Click here for Whole Wheat Sourdough Starter recipe.
Bread Machine Method
- Have water and oil at 80ºF and all other ingredients at room temperature. Place ingredients in pan in the order listed. Select whole wheat or basic cycle and medium/normal crust. Do not use the delay timer. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. Remove bread when cycle is finished; cool. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
- Using ingredient amounts listed for medium loaf, combine yeast, 1 cup flour, and other dry ingredients. Combine water and oil; heat to 120º to 130º F.
- Hand-Held Mixer Method: Combine sourdough starter, dry mixture, and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl on low speed. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. By hand, stir in whole wheat flour and enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Use additional flour if necessary.
- Stand Mixer Method: Combine sourdough starter, dry mixture, and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Gradually add remaining flour and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
Rising, Shaping, and Baking
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Roll or pat into a 14x7-inch rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll. Pinch edges and taper ends to seal. Place in greased 9x5-inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after touching. Bake in preheated 375º F oven 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from pan; cool.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.
- This recipe is featured at Food Wanderings.