Soft, buttery and rich Danish pastry. Perfect for holidays or everyday occasions.
Yield: 2 kringles
For the dough:
- 2 cups bread flour
- 4 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup shortening, part butter or margarine
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg, separated
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 3 to 4 tsp water
- Have water and milk at 110°-115°F and all other ingredients at room temperature.
- Measure the first 4 ingredients into a bowl. Mix with pastry blender or fork. Dissolve yeast in the water. Let stand 3 to 5 minutes. Add milk and egg yolk. Stir yeast-mixture and add to egg yolk-mixture. Pour into bowl with flour-mixture. Blend. Cover bowl with waxed paper, then foil. Chill 2 to not more than 48 hours. Prepare Fillings before removing dough from refrigerator. NOTE: Quantity given for filling is for one Kringle.
- Divide dough into 2 parts. Beat egg white until stiff. Roll dough on lightly floured board into a 6x18-inch rectangle. Spread with ½ the egg white, then one of the Fillings. Bring sides over Filling the long way, and pinch edge of dough into roll. Handle Kringle carefully- this is a tender dough. Place on lightly greased baking sheet in horseshoe or circular shape. Shape second Kringle and place on second baking sheet. Cover. Let rise until almost doubled, about 30-40 minutes. Bake 18 to 25 minutes in preheated 400°F oven. Remove from pans to racks to cool. Before serving, sift confectioners' sugar or drizzle Glaze over the top of the Kringles. You can also sprinkle chopped pecans over top.
- Glaze: Combine ingredients in small mixing bowl; beat until smooth. Add more/less powdered sugar to achieve desired consistency.
- Fillings (quantity is for 1 Kringle):
- Apple Currant: ¾ cup finely chopped apples, ¼ cup washed currants, ¼ cup brown sugar (packed), 2 tsp flour
- Apple Pecan: ¾ cup finely chopped apples, ¼ cup finely chopped pecans, ¼ cup brown sugar (packed), 2 tsp flour (pictured)
- Date Pecan: ½ cup finely cut-up dates, ¼ cup finely chopped pecans, ¼ cup brown sugar (packed)
- Orange or Pineapple Marmalade: ½ cup marmalade
- Pecan: ½ cup chopped pecans, ¼ cup brown sugar (packed)
- Recipe featured at A TrEATs Affair.