Double Chocolate Kokosh Cake (+ video)
Kokosh cake is best described as a flatter, richer version of babka. This recipe relies on chocolate hazelnut spread to add richness and depth of flavor.
Yield: 3 cakes
For the sponge:
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (4½ tsp, ½oz, 14g) RED STAR Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- 1 tsp kosher salt
For the dough:
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 whole eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Egg wash: 1 egg whisked with 2 teaspoons water
For the filling:
- 1 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp instant espresso powder (optional)
- Make the sponge:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir together water, flour, yeast, and salt. Allow mixture to sit in a warm place for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. The surface should look bubbly and like a sponge!
- Make the dough:
- With a dough fitted to the mixer and the machine on low, add sugar, oil, vanilla extract, eggs and yolks.
- Add remaining flour, ½ cup at a time and knead until the dough is smooth and tacky, but not too wet or sticky.
- Cover and allow dough to rest for 1 hour in a warm place, or until it doubles in size. Alternatively, you can cover and allow it to slowly rise in the refrigerator overnight.
- Prepare kokosh:
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. (You can fit two kokosh cakes lengthwise onto one tray, just keep them a few inches apart.)
- Once dough doubles in size, punch down and divide into three equal pieces. (If refrigerated overnight, allow dough to come to room temperature before proceeding.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll each piece into approximately a 10x14-inch rectangle. Spread ⅓ cup of chocolate spread over dough.
- Make filling: Combine sugar, cocoa, salt and coffee (optional) in a small bowl. Sprinkle ½-⅔ cups over each section of dough.
- Roll dough starting from the shorter side and pinch edges to seal. Use a rolling pin to slightly flatten the kokosh cake. Place on prepared baking sheets.
- Brush with egg wash and bake for 20-25 minutes, until light golden brown.
- In partnership with Joy of Kosher.