Good Old American White Rolls
Rich and delicious rolls to accompany your next meal whether breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Yield: 12 rolls
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 package (2¼ tsp) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
Bread Machine Method
- Place room temperature ingredients in pan in the order listed. Select dough cycle. Do not use the delay timer. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information. Remove dough when cycle has finished, and continue with Rising, Shaping and Baking instructions below.
- Hand-held mixer: In medium mixing bowl mix together yeast, 1 cup flour, sugar and salt. In a microwave-safe dish, combine milk and butter and heat to 120-130°F (butter does not need to melt). With mixer on low speed, add liquids to flour mixture on low speed. Add eggs. Beat 3 minutes on medium speed. By hand, add enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic. Add additional flour if necessary.
- Stand mixer: In mixer bowl mix together yeast, 1½ cups flour, sugar and salt. In a microwave-safe dish, combine milk and butter and heat to 120-130°F (butter does not need to melt). With mixer on low speed, add liquids to flour mixture on low speed. Add eggs. Beat 3 minutes on medium speed. Gradually add flour and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
Rising, Shaping and Baking
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe. Divide dough into 4 parts; divide each part into 3 pieces. For pan rolls, shape each piece into a smooth ball, place in a greased 9-inch cake pan. For individual rolls, place balls in greased muffin pan cups or 2 to 3 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover; let rise until indentation remains when touched. Bake in a 375°F preheated oven: pan rolls, 20 to 25 minutes; individual rolls, 12 to 15 minutes. If desired, lightly brush with butter. Remove from pan and cool.
- You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast for Active Dry Yeast. Traditional methods- replace 1:1. Expect your dough to rise faster; always let your dough rise until ‘ripe’. Bread Machines- use ½ tsp Instant yeast (or ¾ tsp Active Dry yeast) per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information.
- This recipe is featured at Completely Delicious.
A nice sweet glaze topping for these rolls can be made with 3 tablespoons of melted butter and 2 teaspoons of honey. Brush the rolls with this mixture right after you remove them from the oven.