Carrot Raisin Bread
Just like the popular Carrot Raisin Salad, this bread has the subtle tang of mayonnaise combined with the sweetness of carrots and raisins.
Yield: 1 loaf
Small loaf (1 lb. bread machine)
- ½ cup, plus 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2¼ cup bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ⅓ cup grated carrots
- 1½ tsp RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- ¼ cup raisins
Medium loaf (1½ lb. bread machine)
- ¾ cup, plus 1 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 cup bread flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- ½ cup grated carrots
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- ⅓ cup raisins
Large loaf (2 lb. bread machine)
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 4 cup bread flour
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup grated carrots
- 1 Tbsp RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- ½ cup raisins
Bread Machine Method
- Have liquid ingredients at 80ºF and all others at room temperature. Place ingredients in pan in the order listed. Select basic cycle and medium/normal crust. Raisins can be added 5 minutes before the end of the last kneading. Do not use the delay timer. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. Remove bread when cycle is finished; cool. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
- Using ingredient amounts listed for medium loaf, combine yeast, 1 cup flour, and other dry ingredients, except raisins. Combine water and mayonnaise; heat to 120-130º F.
- Hand-Held Mixer Method
- Combine dry mixture and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl on low speed. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. By hand, stir in raisins and enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Use additional flour if necessary.
- Stand Mixer Method
- Combine dry mixture and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Gradually add raisins and remaining flour and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Food Processor Method
- Put dry mixture in processing bowl with steel blade. While motor is running, add liquid ingredients. Process until mixed. Continue processing, adding remaining flour until dough forms a ball. Add raisins; pulse just until mixed.
Rising, Shaping and Baking
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Roll or pat into a 14x7-inch rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll. Pinch edges and taper ends to seal. Place in greased 9x5-inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after touching. Bake in preheated 375ºF oven 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from pan; cool.
- Recipe featured at Stephie Cooks.
You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.
Serving size: 1 Slice Calories: 170 Total Fat: 2g Saturated fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 33g Sugar: 6g Sodium: 320mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 5g Cholesterol: 0mg