Bake a hot dog and bun all in one easy dish. It will delight kids of any age!
Yield: 8 servings
- 3¼ cups bread flour
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups water
- 1 Tbsp shortening
- 1 egg
- ¾ lb. wieners or Polish sausage
- Butter, softened
- In large mixer bowl, combine 2½ cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt; mix well. Add warm water (120-130°F), shortening and egg to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in remaining flour to make a stiff batter. Cover; let rise in warm place until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Stir down batter. Spread evenly in greased 13x9-inch cake pan. Cut wieners in half, crosswise; press down into batter. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 25 minutes. Bake at 375°F for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Brush with butter. Serve warm with mustard.
- You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) in place of Active Dry Yeast in batter/no knead recipes. When using Instant Yeast, expect your batter/dough to rise faster - about 50% faster. Adjust your rise times accordingly. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information.
- Recipe featured at Yesterfood.