Vegan Onion and Herbs Bagels
Make brunch even better with a batch of vegan homemade savory bagels! Top with your favorite cream cheese spread.
Yield: 8 bagels
- 1½ cups warm water, 110-115°F
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Quick·Rise Yeast
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp dried , minced onion
- Pinch of garlic powder
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp dried sage
- 10 cups water (for water bath)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Additional dried onion and herbs for topping, optional
- Combine 1½ cups warm water and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Stir in yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes, or until the mixture foams.
- Add the flour, salt and olive oil and mix on low speed with the dough hook attachment until well combined. Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add in the dried minced onion, garlic powder, dried thyme, and dried sage. Knead for 30 seconds to 1 minute longer, or until herbs are incorporated.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and oil the surface lightly with olive oil. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Once dough has risen, turn dough out onto a floured work surface. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each dough piece into a 10 inch long rope, rolling the dough with your hands outward until rope has formed. Squish down one end of the rope, and form rope into a bagel (circle) shape, pushing the squished end into the side of the bagel. Repeat the rolling and forming process for remaining ropes.
- Place formed bagels on a greased, rimmed baking sheet. Cover lightly with a kitchen towel and allow to rise for 15-20 minutes, until bagels are puffy and slightly risen.
- While bagels are rising, bring the 10 cups water to a boil in a large Dutch oven.
- After the bagels have risen, heat the oven to 425°F. Line 2 half sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly brush with oil. Set aside.
- Place the risen bagels, 3 at a time, in the boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove them from the water using a large flat spatula and return them to the sheet pans, brush the top of each bagel with olive oil and sprinkle with additional dried onion and herbs if desired.
- Bake until dark golden brown in color, 20-25 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving. Best served within the first day of baking.
- Recipe created by Heart of a Baker.
*Use bread flour for a chewier bagel. Water amount may need to be adjusted.