Swedish Orange Sweet Buns
Swedish Orange Sweet Buns made with a buttery, cardamom dough layered with fragrant orange sugar, then knotted, topped with crunchy Swedish pearl sugar and baked until they're golden brown.
Yield: 12 buns
For the dough:
- 3 cups bread flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
For the Orange Sugar Filling:
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Zest from 1 large orange
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
For the topping:
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- Swedish pearl sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, cardamom, and salt.
- In saucepan or microwave safe dish, heat milk and butter until warm (120° - 130°F).
- Add liquids to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened. Add eggs; beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Switch to the dough hook and mix in the remaining flour a little at a time, to make a soft, slightly sticky dough, add more or less flour as needed. Knead the dough for 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 45 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, make the orange sugar filling by mixing the sugar with the orange zest.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Punch down the dough and let it rest 5 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 18x12-inch rectangle. Spread the butter evenly over the bottom ⅔ of the dough with a rubber spatula or your fingers. Sprinkle the orange sugar evenly over the butter. Fold the dough into thirds like a letter.
- Cut dough in to twelve strips, each 6-inches long by 1-inch wide with a pizza cutter or dough scraper.
- Cut each piece ¾ of the way up horizontally and twist the two ends. Tie the ends in to a knot. (Alternative ways to shape: #1 Twist each strip then wrap each twist around two fingers and tuck the end through the middle of the circle to the bottom. #2 Hold one end of each strip and twist it several times. Start with one end and roll it up like a snail shell and tuck the end underneath.)
- Place each bun on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until double, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with the beaten egg, and sprinkle with pearl sugar
- Bake about 20 minutes until golden brown. Cover the top with foil if the rolls are browning too quickly. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool on the pan for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Recipe created by Barbara Bakes.