Spinach Artichoke Crispy Skillet Pan Pizza
Tender, buttery, crispy skillet pan pizza topped with a creamy spinach & artichoke cheesy béchamel topping and mouth-watering garlic butter herb shrimp! Step up your pizza night with this amazing recipe! It’s all about that crust!
Yield: Two 12-inch pan pizzas
For the dough:
- 1½ cups warm tap water (110-120°F)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 3½ cups bread flour, plus extra as needed
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt (or kosher)
- All-purpose flour for rolling and shaping
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Canola or vegetable oil to coat skillet
For the creamy spinach & artichoke béchamel topping:
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped small
- 1¼ tsp kosher salt
- 10-ounce bag baby spinach leaves
- 8 whole artichoke hearts, drained and chopped in half
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ cup milk
- 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 /3 cup grated Parmesan
- ⅓ cup grated grana Padano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
For the garlic butter herb shrimp:
- 6 Tbsp butter, unsalted
- 20 jumbo shrimp, raw
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp parsley
- Pinch kosher salt and pepper
Make the dough:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add in the warm water, honey, ¼ cup bread flour and yeast. Gently stir together. Add in the rest of the flour and fit your mixer with a dough hook.
- Mix on low just until loosely combined, gently scraping down the sides. Add in the oil while the mixer is running, stopping if need be to scrape down the sides. After 3 minutes of mixing, add in the salt. Mix until a soft, smooth elastic ball forms, about 8-10 minutes. The dough should pull away from the sides (though it may not be fully pull away) of the bowl but still be wet/tacky to the touch. Remove the dough from the bowl and place in a lightly oiled bowl (at least 2-3 times bigger than the ball) and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise until doubled in size, about 60-90 minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out the dough into a 15x12-inch rectangle. Divide the dough in thirds (visually, do not cut). Spread 2 tablespoons of the butter pieces from the pizza recipe in the middle of the dough. Fold ⅓ of the dough over top of the butter (as if you are folding a letter). Spread the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter pieces over top of that fold. Fold the other third of the dough over top of butter. Essentially, you have a layer of dough, layer of butter, layer of dough, layer of butter and layer of dough.
- Roll out the dough into a larger rectangle (it should only expand out a 2 inches on each side). Turn the dough 90 degrees, fold in half and roll out again into a rectangle. Repeat this two more times until you end up with a rectangle 15x12-inches (approximately). Divide the rectangle in two, pick up one dough, tuck the ends underneath and shape into a ball. (NOTE: This recipe makes 2 pizzas.) Gently stretch (or roll out) the one ball into a 12-inch circle. Place the dough into a 12-inch cast iron pan that is coated in canola or vegetable oil. Do not use butter or olive oil as it will burn. Gently push the dough to the ends of the pan and slightly up the sides. Cover the pan/dough with plastic wrap and allow to rise for one hour.
Make the Creamy Spinach & Artichoke Béchamel Topping:
- In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, add the olive oil. When the oil starts to simmer add the shallot and salt. Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until soft and tender. Add in the spinach and stir. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the spinach has wilted. Once wilted add in the halved artichoke hearts, stir and remove from heat; transfer spinach mixture to a bowl to allow to cool slightly.
- In the same pan, over medium heat melt the butter. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks and bubbles a bit, but don't let it brown — about 2 minutes. Add in the milk whisking the entire time until it forms a sauce and begins to thicken. Reduce the heat to low.
- In a separate bowl, add the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, grana Padano, pepper, red pepper flakes; mix to combine and taste for seasoning (add in more if needed). Add spinach mixture and mix to combine. Stir this mixture into the thickened milk mixture. If it’s too thick add in a tablespoon or two more milk. The mixture should be thick and spreadable. Stir in ¾ cup shredded mozzarella. Taste for seasoning. Remove to a bowl and allow to cool slightly.
Make the Pizza:
- Preheat the oven to 450°F, rack in the middle. If you have a second oven rack, place that in the lower third of the oven. Gently push the dough so it covers the entire bottom of the pan and up the sides. Take a fork and make fork holes all along the bottom of the dough (this is called 'docking'). You need this to allow the air to escape and cook the layers.
- Place half of the Creamy Spinach & Artichoke Béchamel topping on top of the pizza, leaving a ½-inch space free around the edge of the pizza. You essentially want to place 2-3 cups of the mixture on top of the pizza. Top with half of the remaining shredded mozzarella.
- Put the cast iron pan on the burner and turn the heat on to medium-high. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until the oil starts to lightly bubble around the sides and a golden crust is starting to form (stick a metal spatula along edge of dough to observe crust color).
- Place the pan into the oven (use an oven mitt to carry pan). Bake for 12 minutes on the middle rack. Move to the lower third rack for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Using heavy duty spatulas remove the pizza from the pan and place on a cooling rack for 5 minutes prior to cutting. Top with optional Garlic Butter Herb Shrimp (see below) and serve.
Make Garlic Butter Herb Shrimp:
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add in 4 tablespoons of butter. Add the shrimp, garlic powder and parsley. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 2-3 minutes; set aside in bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan, stir until melted. Pour butter over top of the cooked shrimp.
- Recipe created by The Kitchen Whisperer.
This recipe makes two 12-inch pizzas, which means you have 2 dough balls, enough Creamy Spinach & Artichoke Béchamel Topping and Garlic Butter Herb Shrimp for 2 pizzas. If you're only making 1 pizza make only half of the Creamy Spinach & Artichoke Béchamel Topping and Garlic Butter Herb Shrimp. The Creamy Spinach & Artichoke Béchamel Topping can be made 2 days in advance. The Garlic Butter Herb Shrimp can be made 1 day in advance.
This recipe must be made in a cast iron pan.
This recipe must be made in a cast iron pan.