Sourdough Sandwich Rolls
These rolls are an excellent choice for burgers or sandwiches.
Yield: 8 rolls
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2¼ tsp (one package) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
Bread Machine Method
- Have water and oil at 80º F and all other ingredients at room temperature. Place ingredients in pan in the order specified in your owner's manual. Select dough/manual cycle. Do not use delay timer. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 TBSP at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 TBSP of flour at a time. Take out dough when cycle is finished. Follow Shaping, Rising and Baking section below. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
- Dry mixture: Combine yeast, 1 cup flour, and other dry ingredients. Liquids mixture: Combine water and oil; heat to 120º to 130ºF.
- Hand-Held Mixer Method
- Combine sourdough starter, dry mixture, and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl on low speed. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. Add egg and beat 1 minute. By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Use additional flour if necessary. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
- Stand Mixer Method
- Combine sourdough starter, dry mixture, and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Add egg and beat 1 minute. Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a firm dough and knead with dough hook 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
- Food Processor Method
- Put sourdough starter and dry mixture in processing bowl with steel blade. While motor is running, add egg and liquid ingredients. Process until mixed. Continue processing, adding remaining flour until dough forms a ball. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
Shaping, Rising and Baking
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Divide dough into 8 pieces. On lightly floured surface, shape each piece into a smooth ball. Place on greased cookie sheet. Flatten to a 4-inch diameter. Cover; let rise until indentations remains after touching. With sharp knife, make an “X” on the top of each roll. If desired, brush with egg wash (combine egg and water). Brush tops of rolls. Bake in preheated 400º F oven 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet; cool.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) Yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.
- Recipe featured at Thyme In Our Kitchen.