This recipe makes 3 loaves
Yield: 3 loaves
- 3 cups tap water at 110°-115°F
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3 packages (6¾ tsp, ¾oz, 21g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1½ cups dark rye flour
- 4 cups bread flour
- Add water and sugar to a large mixing bowl. Stir in yeast; let sit 5-10 minutes until bubbles start to form. Add the whole wheat flour, stir until combined. Add salt and dark rye flour. Mix until smooth.
- Mix in 3 cups of bread flour. Gradually knead in as much of the remaining cup of flour as needed, working it in with your hands, pressing flour into dough and turning dough over. Continue kneading until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
- Punch down dough. Place on floured counter. Flatten out with hands to a square 1-inch thick. Cut in three equal pieces, keeping each piece well floured.
- Lightly oil three 9x5x2-inch loaf pans. Roll each section jelly roll fashion. PInch to seal edges. Place seam side down bread pans. Cover and let rise until indentation remains after lightly touching.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Bake loaves for 20 minutes. Turn oven down to 350°F. Bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove breads from pans and let cool on wire racks.