Rosemary and Cheese Dinner Rolls
A soft and cheesy dinner roll topped with fresh rosemary and sea salt. Perfect for everyday or a holiday dinner!
Yield: 14 rolls
- 2 packages (4½ tsp, ½oz, 14g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup water, 110-115°F
- 1 pound (4 cups) all-purpose flour
- ½ Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups grated manchego or cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Cornmeal for dusting the baking tray
- In a small bowl whisk the yeast, sugar and half of the water together until dissolved.
- In a larger bowl, add the flour and salt, make a well in the center. Add the yeast mixture to the well and mix gently with a wooden spoon or your fingers. Add the remaining water and mix until the flour comes together and forms a ball. You may need to add a few drops of water if it feels dry.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and shape into a ball. Knead the dough for about 3-4 minutes: stretch it with the heal of your hand and folding it over, give dough a ¼-turn, repeat. Finish the task by ending with a nice round ball shape.
- Grease a bowl with the olive oil and put the dough into it. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator overnight.
- Take the bowl from the fridge the next morning and turn it out on to a floured work surface. Press it down flat, or roll it out with a rolling pin, to about an inch thick. If dough is too cold to work with, let it rest, covered, on the counter for ½-1 hour.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the dough and start to fold and knead the dough back into a ball shape.
- Using a knife, chop the dough into 14 individual pieces, each weighing 2½ ounces. Roll each piece to a length of about 6 inches and tie it into a knot.
- Transfer to a large baking tray dusted with a little cornmeal, leaving a small space between each roll. Using a pastry brush, glaze each roll with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the salt, black pepper and rosemary. Lay a clean tea towel on top of the rolls and let rest for about 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bake rolls in the oven for 20-25 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Recipe created by Foodness Gracious.