Sea Salt Maple Pumpkin Doughnuts
Deep fried pumpkin yeast doughnuts, filled with cinnamon cream cheese frosting and topped with a sea salted maple glaze.
Yield: about 2 dozen
- ½ cup warm tap water (110-115°F)
- 2 packages (4½ tsp, ½oz, 14g) RED STAR Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- ⅔ cup warm whole milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 6 to 7 cups bread flour
For the filling:
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 3 to 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 3 tsp heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
For the icing:
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- In a small bowl add yeast and warm water until the yeast has dissolved. After about 5 minutes, once it is bubbly or appears foamy, it is ready to use.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with a dough hook attachment, add in milk, eggs, pumpkin puree, oil, salt, pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, sugar, yeast/water mixture and 2 cups of flour.
- Beat vigorously. Add in remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, until dough is firm enough to knead. Not too sticky.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and knead for about 6 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Turn dough into a oiled bowl. Cover in a warm spot and allow to rise until doubled in size.
- On a floured surface roll dough out into a large circle about ¾ of an inch thick.
- Using a 2 to 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut out donuts. Place them on a lined cookie sheet to rise again. With the extra dough scraps you can shape ring-shaped doughnuts or roll them into balls for "doughnut holes."
- Allow doughnuts to double in size again.
- Meanwhile heat cooking oil to 365°F.
- Once the doughnuts have risen, fry 1-3 at a time depending on how large your fryer or pot is. Careful not to over crowed them.
- Fry for approximately 2-3 minutes flipping half way through the process to evenly brown. Once they are golden brown remove from oil with a spatula and place on paper towels to "drain".
- Once all the doughnuts are done, allow to cool. Prepare filling and icing.
- To prepare FILLING: With an electric mixer whip cream cheese until light and fluffy. Slowly mix in powdered sugar and cinnamon. If it appears too thick mix in 1 tbsp of cream at a time to thin it out a tad.
- To prepare ICING: Whisk your maple syrup and powdered sugar together until smooth.
- To assemble doughnuts: Cut a small hole straight through the center of each doughnut, going all the way to the back but careful not to cut through the other end.
- Fill piping bag with a medium sized tip with the cream cheese filling. Fill each doughnut with the filling.
- Spread maple glaze over the tops of each filled doughnut and sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- If you have left over frosting and icing spread onto fried doughnut scraps as well.
- This recipe was created by Bakeaholic Mama.