Pizza Dough and Variations
Traditional pizza dough adds an easy-homemade touch to a thin crust pizza. Using a prepared pizza sauce, you can make and bake this pizza in an hour.
Yield: Two 12-inch pizzas
- 1 cup warm tap water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼ oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- Cornmeal, for dusting pan
- Preheat oven to 400°F
Bread Machine Method
- Have water at 80°F, all others at room temperature. Place ingredients in pan in the order listed. Select Dough/Manual cycle. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. At the end of the last kneading cycle, press STOP/CLEAR, remove dough from pan. Proceed to Rising, Shaping and Baking instructions below. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
- Hand-Held Mixer Method
- Combine 1 cup flour, warm water, oil,salt and yeast in mixing bowl on low speed. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Use additional flour if necessary. Proceed to Rising, Shaping and Baking instructions below.
- Stand Mixer Method
- Combine 1 cup flour, warm water, oil,salt and yeast in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Gradually add remaining flour and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Proceed to Rising, Shaping and Baking instructions below.
Food Processor Method
- Have all ingredients at room temperature. Place dry ingredients in processing bowl with steel blade. Process briefly to blend. While motor is running add water and oil. Process until mixed. Continue processing until dough cleans the sides of bowl. Proceed to Rising, Shaping and Baking instructions below.
Rising, Shaping and Baking
- Let dough rest 15 minutes. Divide into 2 parts. Press each half into a generously greased 12-inch round pizza pan sprinkled with cornmeal. Pre-bake for 10-12 minutes in pre-heated 400°F oven until edges of crust begin to turn light golden brown. Add desired toppings and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.
- Recipe featured at Doughmesstic.
A whole wheat crust can be made by substituting 1 cup whole wheat flour and 2 cups bread flour for the 3 cups of bread flour called for in the recipe. A cheese crust can be made by adding ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend to the original recipe.