Peanut Butter-Chocolate Babkas
These dreamy baby babkas are filled with creamy peanut butter and melted pieces of chocolate, so you can twist and bake them up for breakfast or dessert. The best part? Shaping them is a breeze. You may never go back to the traditional braided loaf again.
Yield: 12 rolls
- 4½ cups (563 grams) all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package (7 grams) Red Star Quick Rise Yeast
- 1½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) kosher salt
- 1 cup (240 grams) plus 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water, divided
- ½ cup (113 grams) plus 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), room temperature and divided
- 1 large egg yolk (19 grams), room temperature
- 1 cup (256 grams) creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup (30 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup (57 grams) chopped 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate
- Step 1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together 4 cups (500 grams) flour, granulated sugar, yeast, and salt by hand.
- Step 2. In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup (240 grams) water and ½ cup (113 grams) melted butter over medium heat until an instant-read thermometer registers 120°F (49°C) to 130°F (54°F). Add water mixture to flour mixture, and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add 1 egg (50 grams) and egg yolk, and beat for 2 minutes. Beat in enough of remaining ½ cup (63 grams) flour until a soft dough forms. (Dough will be sticky.)
- Step 3. Switch to the dough hook attachment. Beat at low speed until dough is smooth and elastic, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Step 4. Lightly oil a large bowl. Shape dough into a smooth ball, and place in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Step 5. Butter a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Step 6. In a small bowl, stir together peanut butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and remaining 1 tablespoon (14 grams) melted butter.
- Step 7. Lightly punch down dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 20x12-inch rectangle. Spread peanut butter mixture onto dough. Sprinkle with chocolate. Fold rectangle crosswise into thirds, forming a smaller rectangle, about 12x6½ inches.
- Cut rectangle crosswise into 12 (about 1 inch) strips. Gently stretch and twist each strip; coil one strip into each prepared muffin cup, tucking end inside edge of cup to create a rounded top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until puffed, about 30 minutes.
- Step 8. Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C).
- Step 9. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 1 egg (50 grams) and remaining 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water. Brush tops of dough with egg wash.
- Step 10. Bake until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 190°F (88°C), 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
- Recipe in partnership with Bake from Scratch.