Orange Cheesecake Lattice Bread
This sweet bread has a hint of cinnamon in the dough and a sweet, rich cream cheese center any cheesecake fan is going to go nuts over!
Yield: 1 loaf
For the dough:
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 3 ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- ¼ cup + 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup of lukewarm milk
- 1 tsp salt (I used Alaea Hawaiian Sea Salt)
For the filling:
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
- 1 egg white (for egg wash)
For the glaze and topping:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp milk
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds (optional)
- See recipe video below.
- In a stand mixer bowl, add sugar, cinnamon and orange zest; stir to combine.
- Add flour, yeast, butter, milk and salt. Mix until dough forms then knead for 5 minutes (use dough hook attachment).
- Oil a clean bowl, turn dough in the bottom of the bowl then flip over so all sides are oiled. Cover with a towel and let it rise for an hour.
- Make the filling: Start with the cream cheese in the clean and dry bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle or whisk attachment and mix on medium to whip the cream cheese so it’s smooth and lump-free. Add sugar, orange zest, butter, almond extract, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Mix on medium until ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Roll risen dough into a rectangle, approximately 11x17-inches. Use fingers to make dough edges straight and corners squared.
- Transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or silicone mat. Visually, divide dough in thirds lengthwise and cut 1-inch strips crosswise down the length of the outer thirds.
- Cut off the 4 corner flaps.
- Spread filling in the center third of dough.
- Fold the cut strips over the filling at a diagonal, alternating side to side.
- Cover and let it rest for half hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F while dough is rising.
- Brush egg white over risen dough. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until crust is light brown. Let cool on pan for half an hour.
- Make the glaze: In a bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and milk. Add more/less milk to achieve desired consistency.
- Drizzle over the cooled bread. Top with sliced almonds (optional).
- Recipe created by Try Anything Once Culinary.