Orange Cardamom Braided Bread
Impress your friends, family and neighbors with this beautiful Orange Cardamom Braided Bread. Garnish with fresh cranberries and fresh orange slices for the holidays.
Yield: 2 braided loaves
For the dough:
- ¾ cup milk, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) Red Star Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
For the filling:
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
For the egg wash:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp water
- Prepare dough: In a large mixing bowl, add milk, melted butter and eggs into a large bowl and stir to combine. Add sugar and yeast. Stir well and set aside until yeast starts to bubble.
- Add 2 cups of flour and salt. Stir until combined. Add enough of the remaining flour, about ½ cup at a time, until dough forms a ball.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough for 3 to 5 minutes, adding flour as needed, until no longer sticky.
- Cover dough and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Prepare filling: Mix sugar and orange zest together with your finger tips (or use a fork). Stir in cardamom and set aside.
- When dough is risen, punch down and knead out any air bubbles.
- Roll into a rectangle about 12 x 15 - inches. Let the dough relax for a few minutes if it isn't wanting to roll out.
- Spread softened butter over dough. Sprinkle with sugar mixture, spreading evenly over dough.
- Roll up from the long side and pinch the edges to seal.
- Cut dough into three equal strips (lengthwise). Cut each strip in half (you will now have 6 strips total). Carefully braid 3 strands together, twisting the layers outwards. Repeat with other strands.
- Place loaves on a lined baking sheet (use parchment paper or silicone mat).
- Prepare egg wash: Beat egg and water together. Brush over both loaves. Cover, and let rise until indentation remains after lightly touching, about 30 minutes.
- While loaves are rising, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Recipe created by Miss in the Kitchen.