Orange Cardamom Braided Bread
Impress your friends, family and neighbors with this beautiful Orange Cardamom Braided Bread. Garnish with fresh cranberries and fresh orange slices for the holidays.
Yield: 1 large, or 2 small braided loaves
For the dough:
- ¾ cup milk, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) Red Star Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
For the filling:
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
For the egg wash:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp water
- Prepare dough: In a large mixing bowl, add milk, melted butter and eggs into a large bowl and stir to combine. Add sugar and yeast. Stir well and set aside until yeast starts to bubble.
- Add 2 cups of flour and salt. Stir until combined. Add enough of the remaining flour, about ½ cup at a time, until dough forms a ball.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough for 3 to 5 minutes, adding flour as needed, until no longer sticky.
- Cover dough and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Prepare filling: Mix sugar and orange zest together with your finger tips (or use a fork). Stir in cardamom and set aside.
- When dough is risen, punch down and knead out any air bubbles.
- Roll into a rectangle about 12x15 inches. Let the dough relax for a few minutes if it isn't wanting to roll out.
- Spread softened butter over dough. Sprinkle with sugar mixture, spreading evenly over dough.
- Roll up from the long side and pinch the edges to seal.
- Cut the dough into three equal pieces, lenghthwise. Carefully braid the strands together, twisting the layers outwards.
- If desired, cut the dough in half to create 2 loaves. Place on a lined baking sheet.
- Beat remaining egg and brush over both loaves.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Recipe created by Miss in the Kitchen.