Meyer Lemon Danish Braid
Flaky and light, this sweet yeasted bread bakes up golden and fluffy with a blissful cream cheese-Meyer lemon curd filling. Assemble ahead and bake in the morning for a scrumptious breakfast treat!
Yield: 14 servings
For the sponge:
- 6 Tbsp (90 g) low fat milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- 2 Tbsp (17 g) flour
For the dough:
- ¼ cup (48 g) sugar
- 4 oz (113 g) reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsp (42 g) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2¼ cups (315 g) flour, divided
For the filling:
- 3 oz (85 g) reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp (24 g) sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp Meyer lemon juice
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup (75 g) Meyer Lemon Curd
For the glaze:
- ½ cup (60 g) powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ Tbsp (7 g) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ tsp Meyer lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp Meyer lemon juice
- Make the sponge: heat milk in a microwave-safe measuring cup for about 45 seconds, until very warm (120-130°F). Whisk together warm milk, sugar, yeast, and flour in a medium bowl; cover loosely with plastic wrap and let stand 15 minutes.
- Make the dough: combine sugar, cream cheese, butter, salt, vanilla, egg, and sponge in a
- large mixer bowl fitted with a paddle; beat at medium speed for 1 minute until combined. Add 2 cups (280 g) flour and mix in at low speed until a soft dough forms, about 2 to 3 minutes. Switch out the paddle for a dough hook, and knead dough for 4 minutes until smooth and elastic, adding remaining ¼ cup (35 g) of flour 1 tablespoon at a time to prevent dough from
- sticking. The dough is ready when it feels tacky but doesn't stick to your fingers.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with nonstick spray and cover with plastic. Let the
- dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 50 to 60 minutes. To check if
- dough has doubled, lightly flour two fingers and press them down into center of dough. If
- indentations remain, dough has risen enough.
- While the dough rises, prepare the filling. Combine cream cheese, sugar, salt, Meyer
- lemon juice, and vanilla in a food processor and process until smooth. Line a large
- rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and dust lightly with flour. Gently punch
- down dough and roll out into a 12x15-inch rectangle on prepared baking sheet. Use an
- offset spatula to spread cream cheese mixture down the center of the dough, leaving a
- -inch border on each side and a 1-inch border at the top and bottom. Spread Meyer
- lemon curd over the cream cheese filling. Use a sharp knife or kitchen shears to cut 15
- -inch strips on both sides of dough (be careful not to cut parchment paper).
- Remove the four corner strips and fold top border down over filling. Work from top to
- bottom and fold strips over filling, alternating strips diagonally (begin by folding over the
- top left strip, then fold the top right strip, then a left strip, and so on). When all the strips
- are folded over filling, fold up the bottom border and press to seal. Cover braid loosely
- with plastic wrap and let rise 25 minutes. ( To prepare ahead: After braid rests, cover and
- refrigerate overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking).
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake braid until golden, about 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire
- rack for 15 minutes before glazing. For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, salt,
- melted butter, Meyer lemon zest, and juice in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over braid and
- let set before serving.
- Recipe created byTutti Dolci.