Lemon Sweet Roll Twists
Fresh and sweet, these lemon sweet roll twists are perfect for any occasion. The dough is light with a filling that is full of creamy lemon flavor.
Yield: 24 small rolls
For the dough:
- 1 cup warm milk (110-115°F)
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 3½ cups bread flour
For the filling:
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
For the glaze:
- 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Optional - raspberries or blueberries for garnish
- Combine warm milk and yeast in a large bowl; stir to combine. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add in egg, oil, salt, sugar, stirring with wooden spoon or dough whisk.
- Slowly stir in 1 cup of flour at a time (3 cups total) – keep ½ C flour for dusting the counter.
- Take dough out of bowl and knead on floured counter until a smooth ball forms.
- Place in a warm area covered with a clean tea towel until doubled in size, about one hour.
- While dough is rising, prepare Filling: using mixer combine cream cheese, lemon juice, zest and sugar until smooth. Place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once dough has doubled in size, roll out on a well-floured surface into a 18x24-inch rectangle.
- Spread lemon cream cheese mixture on dough, leaving a ½ to 1- inch border.
- Using pizza cutter, cut dough into 1-inch strands. Then cut the rectangle in half horizontally.
- Cut each strand carefully in half only ¾ of the way up the strand. Carefully braid (twist) each strand – work quickly so the filling stays in place. Bring two ends together to form a ring and pinch firmly.
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cover and let sit in warm area for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake rolls for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While rolls are baking mix together the Glaze ingredients. Add more/less lemon juice to achieve desired consistency.
- Remove rolls from oven and let cool on wire rack.
- Once cooled drizzle glaze on top. Garnish with berries if desired.
- Serve immediately.
- Place leftovers in the fridge and reheat, as desired.
- Recipe by Jenna Edmiston.