Lemon Herb Focaccia
Fluffy, soft and tender inside. Buttery and crisp on the outside. A summer salad or a vibrant pasta dish will go wonderfully with this quick, easy to make herbed skillet focaccia recipe.
Yield: 1 round focaccia
- 2 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- 1½ tsp RED STAR Platinum Yeast
- ½ tsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup water (120-130°F)
- 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 3 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary, divided
- 3 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp sea salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, whisk together 1½ cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt until well combined. Add the water and 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons rosemary, 2 teaspoons thyme, lemon zest and crushed red pepper flakes. With mixer on medium speed, mix until well combined then slowly add ¼ cup flour and mix until dough begins to pull away from sides and begins to look smooth - but will still be sticky.
- Sprinkle surface with remaining ¼ cup flour and knead dough until smooth and no longer sticky. Shape dough into a ball and cover with a light kitchen towel.
- Preheat oven to 150°F then turn the oven off. Butter or grease a 10”-12” cast iron skillet. Roll dough to size of skillet and fit into skillet. Cover dough again with light kitchen towel and place inside warm oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove skillet and set in a warm, draft-free place. Preheat oven to 400°F. Using the handle of a wooden spoon or your fingertips, poke indentations in dough.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, remaining 1 teaspoon rosemary, remaining 1 teaspoon thyme and Parmesan cheese. Brush mixture over the top of the risen dough.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes until golden and puffed. Cool in pan on a wire rack then slide focaccia out of skillet, cut into squares and serve.
- Recipe created by Food Babbles.