Honey Wheat Bread (+video)
If you're looking for a simple homemade bread with wholesome ingredients, this is it. It uses a combination of whole wheat and white flour, and is sweetened with honey.
Yield: 2 loaves
- 2 cups warm milk (115-120°F)
- ¼ cup warm water (115-120°F)
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 packages (1/4oz, 7g each package) or 4½ tsp Platinum Yeast
- 3¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 2¼ cups bread flour
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the warm milk, warm water, and honey. (Note: milk and water should be very warm, but not too hot to touch.) Stir in the yeast and let it sit for 5 minutes until it gets foamy.
- Add the whole wheat flour and mix it into the liquids using the paddle attachment, just until the flour is moistened. Let that mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- Next, add in the salt, melted butter, and the bread flour. Using the stand mixer with the dough hook attachment, knead the dough for 10 minutes. (If you don't have a stand mixer you can knead the dough by hand.)
- Grease a large bowl and place the dough in the bowl. Turn dough over to coat all sides. Cover with a cloth and place the bowl in a warm place for the dough to rise. Allow the dough to rise until it is double in size.
- Shape dough into two loaves and place them in greased 8x4-inch bread pans. Cover the dough and let them rise in a warm place for another 20 minutes or until they have a nice rise to them.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes.
- For the softest crust, brush the top of the loaves with butter while they are still warm.
- Allow the bread to cool and slice to serve.
- Store any extra bread in an airtight container.
- Recipe created for Red Star Yeast by Tastes of Lizzy T.