Homestyle Pepperoni Rolls
These homemade rolls are filled with spicy pepperoni and creamy cheese and will take you right back to the beautiful state of West Virginia!
Yield: 8 rolls
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1 package (1/4 oz, 7g, 2¼ tsp) Platinum Yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 3½ cups bread flour
- 1 egg
- One stick of pepperoni (6 oz), cut into 8 pieces by cutting it in half, then each piece into 4 lengthwise pieces
- ⅛ cup olive oil
- 1½ cups grated Monterrey jack cheese, plus more for stuffing if needed
- 2 Tbsp melted butter (for brushing the rolls before and after baking)
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats and set aside.
- In the microwave or on the stove top, warm the milk and butter until the butter is melted. Cool to 120-130°F (very warm, but not too hot to touch).
- Whisk in the sugar and yeast. Allow the mixture to sit until the yeast gets foamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a stand mixer bowl (or mixing bowl), add the bread flour and salt. Whisk to combine. Create a well in the center. Add the egg and yeast mixture into the well. Using a paddle attachment (or wooden spoon), mix just until all of the ingredients come together. The dough will be sticky and rough looking at this point.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot for 2 hours.
- After two hours, gently punch down and fold the dough a few times right in the bowl. Form it into a ball and cover it again with plastic wrap. Let it rise for 1 hour.
- Turn the dough out into a well-floured surface. Knead the dough by hand until a smooth ball forms.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal-sized pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- With a rolling pin or your hands, roll each piece to a 5-inch circle. Place a piece of the pepperoni on top of the dough. Lightly brush the pepperoni with the olive oil. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of the cheese on top.
- Fold the dough over the fillings and roll up like a burrito. Make sure to tuck and seal the ends under and pinch closed the seam side.
- Place seam side down on your lined baking sheets. Cover the rolls with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F while the rolls are rising.
- Brush the tops of the rolls with the melted butter before baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then rotate the pans. Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rolls are golden brown.
- Brush the rolls again with the melted butter when they come out of the oven.
- Cut the rolls in half and stuff more cheese into the openings if desired. You can then place it in the microwave for a few seconds to melt it.
- Enjoy them just like this, or dunk them in your favorite marinara sauce.
- Recipe in partnership with Sweet Things by Lizzie.