Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
Light and fluffy sweet rolls with a hint of pineapple and coconut. Perfect paired with BBQ or enjoyed warm with butter.
Yield: 12-18 rolls
For the dough
- 5 to 6 cups bread flour
- 2 packages (4½ tsp, ½oz, 14g) RED STAR Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- ½ cup warm water (110-115°F)
- Pinch of sugar (to activate yeast)
- ⅔ cup pineapple juice
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp salt
For the egg wash
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- Melted butter for serving
- In a small mixing bowl combine warm water, yeast and a pinch of sugar. Allow to sit at room temperature until the mixture is foamy.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, combine, yeast mixture with pineapple juice, coconut milk, melted butter, honey, eggs and salt. Mix on low until combined.
- Slowly mix in flour ½ cup at a time until the dough pulls away from the sides and is only slightly sticky. You may not need to use the full 6 cups.
- Turn mixer to medium/low speed and “knead” until the dough is elastic, about 6 minutes.
- Turn dough out into a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm spot to rise.
- Allow dough to double in size.
- Punch dough down, and divide into 12-18 even balls. Shape into rolls and place in greased baking pans. (Two 9-inch round pans or one large cookie sheet work well)
- Set rolls aside to rise a second time, until they have doubled in size.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 350°F.
- Once rolls have doubled in size, brush with an egg wash (beat 1 egg with 1 tablespoon water) and bake until golden on the tops. Approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Brush with melted butter and serve.
- Recipe created by Bakeaholic Mama.