Gluten Free Yeasted Buttermilk Waffles
Soft and flavorful on the inside with a great crisp on the outside. Enjoy them with the honey-ricotta spread and a drizzle of honey for the perfect bite!
Yield: 9 large waffles
For the waffles:
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ tsp baking soda
For the Honey-Lemon Ricotta Spread:
- 15 ounces ricotta (1½ cups)
- Zest of one lemon
- 2½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 to 3 Tbsp honey, to taste
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
For the topping:
- Prepare the Lemon-Honey Ricotta:
- Stir together all ingredients for the lemon-honey ricotta in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use. Note: if your honey is hard or crystallized, heat it for about 8 to 10 second in the microwave, until liquid, then allow it to cool before adding it to the ricotta.
- Prepare the Waffles:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the warm water and yeast. Stir together and allow mixture to sit 5 to 10 minutes. Add the buttermilk, melted butter, and maple syrup and stir to combine (wet mixture).
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and sea salt. Pour the flour mixture into the bowl with the wet mixture and mix until all clumps are out. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow it to sit at room temperature for least 3 hours or overnight.
- Add the beaten eggs and baking soda to the waffle batter and mix until combined.
- Heat your waffle iron and spray with cooking oil. Measure out about ½ cup of batter and pour onto the hot waffle iron. Replace the lid and allow waffle to cook until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat for remaining batter.
- (6) Serve waffles with honey-lemon ricotta spread, a drizzle of honey, and fresh blueberries.
- Recipe created by The Roasted Root.