Chocolate Yeast Cake
A moist light chocolate cake topped with rich brown butter frosting.
Yield: One Bundt cake or One 13x9-inch Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2¼ tsp (one package) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¼ cups milk
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
Brown Butter Frosting
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 Tbsp Milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In large mixer bowl, combine flour, yeast, brown sugar, sugar, soda and salt; mix well. In saucepan, heat milk and water to 120-130°F; add to flour mixture. Add shortening, chocolate, vanilla and eggs. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Pour into Bundt pan (or 13 x 9-inch pan which has been greased on the bottom only). Cover; let rise in warm place 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F while cake is rising. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until top springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool completely. If baked in Bundt pan, remove cake and place on a cake plate or dish. Frost or drizzle with Brown Butter Frosting.
- Brown Butter Frosting: Melt butter or margarine until golden brown. Add to powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Mix until of spreading consistency, adding more powdered sugar or milk to get desired consistency.
- Recipe featured at Savoring Italy.