Chocolate Chunk Coffee Cake Muffins
Studded with chunks of chocolate & walnuts and topped with a cinnamon-streusel topping, these delightfully delicious muffins are an amazing treat for breakfast, brunch or snacking.
Yield: 12 muffins
For the muffins:
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk (120-130°F)
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
For the streusel topping:
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- Line 12 muffin cups and set aside.
- Add flour, yeast, sugar, salt and cinnamon into a mixer bowl fitted with a paddle. Mix on low speed until well combined. Add buttermilk, melted butter and egg; mix on medium speed until well combined. Fold in chocolate chunks and walnuts. Spoon evenly into lined muffin tin.
- Prepare topping: Mix together all of the streusel topping ingredients until crumbled. Sprinkle over muffin batter.
- Cover and allow to rise 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Best served at room temperature (if you can wait until it cools!)
- Recipe created by Miss in the Kitchen.