Cherry 'n Cheese Lattice Coffee Cake
A sweet bread dough filled with cream cheese and cherries, “braided” and baked until it’s golden brown, then finished with sweet icing drizzled prettily over the bread.
Yield: 2 coffee cakes
For the dough:
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
For the filling:
- 2 packages (3oz. each) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 can (1 lb. 5 oz.) cherry pie filling
For the icing:
- 2 to 3 Tbsp water
- 1¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
Bread Machine Method
- Have liquid ingredients at 80º F and all other ingredients at room temperature. Place dough ingredients in pan in the order listed. Select dough/manual cycle. Do not use the delay. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. When cycle is complete, remove dough and follow directions under the Shaping, Rising and Baking section. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
- In mixing bowl, combine yeast, 1 cup flour, salt and sugar. Heat water, sour cream and butter to 120º to 130º F; add to dry ingredients. With mixer, beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. Add eggs and vanilla; beat 1 minute. Gradually add remaining flour by hand or with a mixer that has dough hook(s); knead for 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe, approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
Shaping, Rising and Baking
- To prepare filling: cream together cream cheese, egg, sugar, and salt.
- Punch down dough and divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half to a 12x17-inch rectangle. Spread half of filling lengthwise over center third of dough. Top with approximately half of pie filling. (Save a few cherries from filling to decorate coffee cake after it is baked.) On each long side, cut 1-inch wide strips, 2 inches long. Starting at one end, fold strips at an angle across filling, alternately from side to side. Place coffee cake on greased baking sheet. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after lightly touching the side of the coffee cake, approximately 30 minutes. Bake in preheated oven 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Prepare icing: Mix water and powdered sugar together. Add more/less powdered sugar to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle cooled coffee cake with icing; place a few cherries on small lattice openings to decorate.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.
- Recipe featured at Barbara Bakes.