Cheddar, Rosemary and Garlic Pull Apart Bread
Cheese, rosemary and garlic create a perfect savory alternative to the traditional pull apart bread. Experiment with different herbs and cheeses to create your own favorite!
Yield: 2 loaves
For the dough:
- 1 Tbsp RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 1 tsp sugar (for activating yeast)
- 1 cup warm tap water (110-115°F)
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 5 to 6 cups bread flour
For the filling:
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp rosemary, finely chopped
- In mixing bowl, combine the yeast and 1 tsp sugar and mix in the warm water. Let it set for 5 minutes until it's foamy.
- With spoon or dough whisk, mix in the milk, ¼ cup sugar, butter and 3 cups bread flour.
- Place bowl on mixer and mix with dough hook until smooth, about 3 minutes. Continue adding enough of the remaining flour until the dough forms into a smooth ball and no longer sticks to the side of the bowl.
- Knead for 5-7 minutes. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and roll out into a large rectangle, 10 x 20-inches and about ½ inch thick. Combine the butter and garlic and spread over the bread. Sprinkle with the cheese and rosemary.
- Cut the dough into 5 strips from the short side of the dough.
- Stack each strip onto the other to make a tall stack. Cut the stack into four squares.
- Place two stacks horizontally into a greased bread pan. Repeat with the remaining dough in another pan.
- Cover and let rise for about 30-40 minutes. Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven. Remove the bread from the pans and let cool on a wire rack.
- Recipe created for Red Star Yeast by Thyme In Our Kitchen.