Caramel Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
Caramel pecan cinnamon rolls are perfect for fall and holiday baking! Featuring a brown sugar-pecan filling, these sweet rolls are drizzled with homemade salted caramel sauce and make a scrumptious treat for weekend brunch or your next family gathering.
Yield: 12 rolls
For the dough:
- 3½ cups (490 g) all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- ¼ cup (48 g) sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup (240 g) low-fat milk
- ¼ cup (56 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
For the filling:
- ¼ cup (56 g) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (90 g) light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp (24 g) sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 cup (114 grams) toasted chopped pecans
For the salted caramel sauce:
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- ¼ cup (56 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cubed
- ½ cup (120 g) heavy cream, at room temperature
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- Flaky salt, for topping
- Combine 2 cups (280 g) flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large mixer bowl; mix on low speed
- until incorporated. Heat milk in a microwave-safe measuring cup for 45 seconds to 1 minute,
- until very warm (120-130°F). Add warm milk, butter, and egg to flour mixture and mix until
- combined; mix in remaining 1½ cups (210 g) flour. Switch out the flat beater for a dough
- hook, and knead dough for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. The dough is ready when it
- feels tacky but doesn’t stick to your fingers (if necessary, add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a
- time while kneading).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with nonstick spray and cover with plastic. Let the dough
- rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 40 minutes. To check if dough has doubled,
- lightly flour two fingers and press them down into center of dough. If indentations remain,
- gently press down dough; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish (or two
- -inch round pans) with nonstick spray.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured board and roll into an 18 x 12-inch rectangle. Spread dough
- with softened butter, leaving a ¼-inch border. Combine sugars, cinnamon, and salt; sprinkle
- over dough and top with chopped pecans, pressing gently into dough with rolling pin. Carefully
- roll dough up into a tight log and pinch edges to seal.
- Trim off uneven ends and score dough into 12 equal slices. Use unflavored dental floss to slice
- dough crosswise (slip a long slice of floss under log of dough and cross on top to cut slices
- cleanly). Place rolls cut side up into prepared baking dish. Cover loosely with plastic and let
- rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- While the rolls rise, preheat oven to 350°F and make salted caramel sauce. Cook sugar in a
- heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly with a heat-resistant spatula. Continue
- cooking until sugar forms clumps and melts into a light amber colored liquid, about 4-5
- minutes. Once the sugar is melted, carefully add butter a few pieces at a time, whisking
- constantly until incorporated. Slowly drizzle in heavy cream while whisking constantly. Let
- mixture boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat and pour into a glass bowl. Stir in vanilla and
- salt; let cool to room temperature.
- Once the rolls have doubled in size, bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden. Remove from
- oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes. Drizzle salted caramel sauce over rolls
- before serving. If desired, sprinkle with flaky salt.
- Recipe created by Tutti Dolci.