Bulgar Wheat Apple Cider Walnut Bread
Hearty and dense sandwich bread using Bulgar wheat and filled with flavors of fall with apple cider and walnuts.
Yield: One (9x5-inch) loaf
- ⅜ cup Bulgar wheat
- ½ cup boiling apple cider
- 1 ¼ cups cold apple cider
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup plus 1 Tbsp coarse whole-wheat flour
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 ½ cups walnuts, chopped
- Place Bulgar wheat in a small bowl and cover with ½ cup boiling cider. Stir with a spoon; cover and let sit for 10 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Place the remaining 1¼ cups apple cider in a medium saucepan and warm over low heat, just until it is warm - not hot - to the touch (110-115°F).
- Pour warm cider into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add yeast and brown sugar and mix with a whisk until yeast has dissolved. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, plumped Bulgar wheat, salt and canola oil.
- Using the hook attachment, mix on low speed for 1 minute to combine ingredients. Switch to medium speed and mix for 10 minutes. Dough will form a loose ball.
- Add walnuts and mix for an additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer dough to an oiled, medium bowl and cover with plastic wrap or clean towel. Let rise in a warm place (70-75°F) for 2 hours, or until almost doubled in size.
- Punch down dough to release air bubbles; turn dough out onto a floured surface.
- Form dough (use rolling pin or fingers to shape it) into a 12x6-inch rectangle, and position it so that a long side is facing you.
- Fold the 2 short ends onto the top so they meet in the middle.
- Starting with the closest end, roll dough away from you into a tight log, pinching edges to seal.
- Place loaf in an oiled 9x5x4-inch loaf pan and cover with plastic wrap. (Tip: spray plastic wrap with oil to prevent dough from sticking.)
- Let rise at room temperature for about 1 hour; loaf will rise to slightly above the top of pan.
- While loaf is rising, preheat oven to 385°F.
- Remove plastic wrap, and dust top of loaf with remaining tablespoon of whole wheat flour.
- Place pan in center rack of preheated oven and bake for approximately 50 minutes. Finished loaf will be medium brown on top.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes, then run a sharp knife around the sides of the loaf to release it from the pan. Invert pan to remove loaf.
- Let loaf finish cooling on wire rack. Slice and enjoy!
- Recipe created by Sweet Recipeas.