Brown Butter Cinnamon Sugar Pull Apart Rolls with Butter Rum Glaze
Layers of cinnamon and sugar are stacked inside each roll, and topped with a drizzle of rum glaze.
Yield: 8 rolls
For the dough:
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
For the filling:
- ½ cups sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1-2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
For the glaze:
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp milk
- ½ tsp rum
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until the foam subsides and the butter begins to turn a golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in milk.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat 1½ cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt on medium-high until well combined, about 1 minute. Gradually add brown butter mixture and vanilla at low speed, beating just until incorporated. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well combined.
- Using the dough hook attachment, add remaining flour, a little at a time, until the dough starts to come together. Knead on high speed until the dough gathers into a ball, about 2 minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm area until doubled in volume, about 20-30 minutes.
- To make the cinnamon-sugar filling, combine sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl; set aside.
- Gently punch the dough down to deflate it. Roll the dough out into a large square, about 16 x 16-inches. Brush the dough with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar in an even layer.
- Using a dough scraper or pizza cutter, slice the dough vertically into 8 equal strips. Stack the strips on top of one another and slice the stack into 8 equal slices, cutting them into 2-inch squares.
- Coat a standard muffin tin with nonstick spray; set aside.
- Layer the dough squares evenly into the muffin tray. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm area until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place bread into oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- To make the glaze, combine confectioners’ sugar, butter, milk and rum. Whisk until smooth. If the glaze is too thin, add more confectioners’ sugar as needed.
- When the pull-apart bread is done, cool for 10 minutes and drizzle the glaze on each pull-apart bread.
- Allow glaze to set before serving.
- Recipe created by Damn Delicious.