Known for its iconic “bubble” top, this rich, yeasted bread is enriched with butter, eggs, milk, and sugar to deliver its fluffy and buttery texture. Watch video below for rising tips.
Yield: One 9x5-inch loaf
- ½ cup (120 gams) warm whole milk (110°F/43°C to 115°F/46°C)
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package (7 grams) Platinum Yeast
- 3 Tablespoons (36 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 3¼ cups (406 grams) all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt
- 3 large eggs (150 grams), room temperature and divided
- 7 Tablespoons (98 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon (15 grams) water
- Step 1. In a small bowl, stir together warm milk, yeast, and 1 teaspoon (4 grams) sugar. Let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Step 2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together 2¾ cups (344 grams) flour, salt, and remaining 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons (32 grams) sugar. Add yeast mixture and 2 large eggs (100 grams); using the paddle attachment, beat at low speed until a shaggy dough forms, stopping to scrape sides of bowl.
- Step 3. Switch to the dough hook attachment. Beat at low speed until smooth and elastic, 5 to 6 minutes; add up to remaining ½ cup (62 grams) flour, 1 tablespoon (8 grams) at a time, if dough is too sticky. Add butter, 1 tablespoon (14 grams) at a time, beating until combined after each addition (8 to 9 minutes total). Beat until a smooth and elastic dough forms, 9 to 10 minutes. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a smooth round.
- Step 4. Lightly oil a large bowl. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until doubled in size, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Step 5. Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Step 6. Punch down dough, and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into 8 portions (85 to 90 grams each). Roll each portion into a smooth ball. Place in prepared pan in 2 rows of 4. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until almost doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Step 7. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Step 8. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water and remaining 1 egg (50 grams). Brush top of loaf with egg wash.
- Step 9. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 190°F (88°C), 28 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Video tutorial: How to Rise (or Proof) Yeast Dough