Braided Sandwich Ring
It could be called a hero, a submarine, a grinder, a hoagie or a poor boy because it is a huge sandwich heaped with layers of meats, cheeses, tomatoes, lettuce, etc. However, because of the braided circle, it is much more attractive than any other of the same type sandwich. A beautiful way to serve a sandwich to a group.
Yield: 1 braided ring, serves 12-18
For the dough:
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg + 1 Tbsp milk (for egg wash)
- 1 Tbsp sesame or poppy seeds (optional, for topping)
Bread Machine Method
- Place room temperature dough ingredients in pan in order recommended by manufacturer. Select dough/manual cycle. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. At end of cycle, remove dough; follow Shaping, Rising and Baking instructions. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
- Flour mixture: Combine 2 cups flour, salt, sugar and yeast in bowl, whisk to combine; set aside. Heat buttermilk to 120-130°F.
- Hand-Held Mixer Method: Combine flour mixture, warm buttermilk, eggs and oil in mixing bowl on low speed. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic. Place in lightly oiled bowl; turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
- Stand Mixer Method: Combine flour mixture, warm buttermilk, eggs and oil in mixer bowl with paddle or beater 4 minutes on medium speed with paddle or beaters. Gradually add remaining flour and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Use additional flour if necessary. Place in lightly oiled bowl; turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
Shaping, Rising and Baking
- Punch down dough. Divide into three parts. On lightly floured surface, roll each third to a 24-inch rope. On greased cookie sheet lightly sprinkled with cornmeal, loosely braid ropes from center to ends. Shape into a circle; fasten ends by pinching dough together. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after touching.
- While dough is rising, make Egg Wash: combine egg and milk. Gently brush risen dough with wash. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 25 to 35 minutes until golden brown; cool.
- To make sandwich ring: Using a serrated knife, slice ring crosswise to create a large sandwich. Spread bottom section with mayonnaise; arrange filling ingredients on top of mayonnaise. Spread top section with Dijon mustard; place on top of Filling. Slice into serving portions. Makes 1 ring.
- Suggested Filling:
- Thinly sliced deli meats (ham, roast beef, prosciutto, salami)
- Sliced cheeses (brick, mozzarella, Swiss)
- Leaf Lettuce
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Onion Rings
- Sliced Black Olives
- Dijon mustard
- You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast for Active Dry Yeast. Traditional methods- replace 1:1. Expect your dough to rise faster; always let your dough rise until ‘ripe’. Bread Machines- use ½ tsp Instant yeast (or ¾ tsp Active Dry yeast) per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information.
- Recipe featured at Fake Ginger.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 230 Total Fat: 5g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 38g Sugar: 4g Sodium: 330mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 8g Cholesterol: 4g