Batterway White Rolls
A quick no-knead dinner roll that will add homemade goodness to any meal.
Yield: 18 3-inch rolls
- 3¾ bread flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup shortening
- 1½ cups water (120-130°F, very warm tap water, but not too hot to touch)
- 2 packets (4½ tsp) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- In large mixing bowl, combine 1½ cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt; mix well. Add to flour mixture. Add egg. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand gradually stir in remaining flour to make a stiff batter. Cover; let rise warm place until double, about 30 minutes.
- Stir down batter. Spoon into greased muffin pan cups. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 20-30 minutes. Bake at 400°F for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pans; brush with butter. Cool.
- This Red Star Yeast recipe is featured at Fake Ginger.
*You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) Yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast in batter/no knead recipes. When using Instant Yeast, expect your batter/dough to rise about 50% faster. Adjust your rise times accordingly. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.