Baked Brown Butter Beignets
Nothing can compare to soft baked brown butter beignets topped with a sweet orange brown butter glaze. There’s big flavor in these bite-sized treats!
Yield: 16 beignets
For the beignets:
- 8 tsp unsalted butter
- ¾ cups warm water (110-115°F)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 3½ cups bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1½ tsp vanilla paste
- ½ cup whole milk
- Additional milk for brushing on beignets before baking
For the glaze:
- 3 Tbsp brown butter (reserved from beignets)
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 Tbsp orange zest (about 1 large orange)
- 3 Tbsp fresh orange juice (about 2 large oranges)
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. As the butter melts, whisk it frequently. Cook for about 3 minutes or until the butter turns a light amber color and has a nutty aroma. Watch it closely, it can go from brown to burnt rather quickly. Remove from heat, transfer to a small glass bowl, and let cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, stir together the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let sit for about 5 minutes, until the yeast is dissolved and foamy.
- In a large bowl, add the flour and salt. Stir with a whisk to combine. In a medium bowl, add the egg, vanilla paste, milk, and 3 tablespoons of the cooled browned butter. Whisk to combine and add to the flour mixture. Add the yeast mixture and stir with a silicone spatula until a soft, sticky dough forms. (The dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl but feel tacky with touched lightly with your finger.)
- With well-floured hands, shape the dough into a ball and place it in a lightly oil bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly flour surface and roll it into a ¼-inch thick rectangle. Use a pizza cutter or pastry wheel to slice the dough into 1½ inch thick square. Place the squares 1
- inch apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with a lint free towel and let
- rise for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brush the tops of each square with milk and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Make the glaze: If the brown butter has begun to solidify, warm it in the microwave for 15 seconds. In a medium bowl, whisk the brown butter, confectioner's sugar, orange zest, and orange juice until smooth.
- While the beignets are still warm, drizzle the tops with orange brown butter glaze.
- Recipe created by Baked by an Introvert.