Apricot Cherry Breakfast Bread
This Apricot Cherry Breakfast Bread is a sweet, light, tender bread studded with dried apricots and tart cherries. Serve it for breakfast slathered with your favorite jam.
Yield: 1 loaf
For the dough
- 3½ cups bread flour
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup water, 120°F
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 2 Tbsp dried apricots, diced
- 2 Tbsp dried cherries, diced
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp of water
For the topping:
- 1 Tbsp pearl sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 2½ cups flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Add warm water
- and oil to flour mixture. Add eggs; beat 1 minute at medium speed. Switch to the dough hook
- and gradually mix in remaining flour to make a smooth dough, add more or less flour as
- necessary. Add dried fruit. Knead for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough doubles in
- size and tests ripe.
- Punch down dough. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Pat into a 12x6-inch rectangle. Cut into two 3x12-inch piece. Shape each piece into a rope. Twist the ropes together. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after touching.
- Create egg wash by beating together 1 egg and water. Coat the top of the loaf with egg wash
- and sprinkle with pearl sugar.
- Bake in preheated 400°F oven 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely before serving.
- Recipe created by Barbara Bakes.