Apple Cranberry Bread
A perfect accompaniment for a holiday dinner or luncheon.
Yield: 1 loaf
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp mace
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (1 medium apple) - apple, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh, chopped
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- In mixing bowl, combine yeast, 1½ cups flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, salt, allspice and mace; mix well. Heat water and butter to 120-130°F (butter does not need to melt); add to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened; add egg and beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, stir in apples, cranberries and pecans. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on floured surface 5 to 8 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
- Punch down dough. On lightly floured surface, roll or pat into a 14x7-inch rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll with each turn. Pinch edges and ends to seal. Place in greased 9x5-inch bread pan. Cover; let rise until an indentation remains when side of loaf is lightly touched. Bake at 350°F for 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on rack.
- You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast for Active Dry Yeast. Traditional methods- replace 1:1. Expect your dough to rise faster; always let your dough rise until ‘ripe’. Bread Machines- use ½ tsp Instant yeast (or ¾ tsp Active Dry yeast) per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information.
- Recipe featured at Completely Delicious.