Apple Cinnamon Raisin Bread
Apple juice, cinnamon, and raisins - a subtle blend of flavors, a marvelous loaf of bread!
Yield: 1 loaf
Small Loaf (1 lb. bread machine)
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup apple juice
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2½ cups bread flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ tsp Red Star Active Dry Yeast
- ½ cup raisins
Medium Loaf (1½ lb. bread machine)
- ¼ cup, plus 1 Tbsp water
- ¾ cup apple juice
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- ¾ cup raisins
Large Loaf (2 lb. bread machine)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 Tbsp, plus 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 Tbsp, plus 2 tsp sugar
- 1¼ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp, plus 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 1 cup raisins
Bread Machine Method
- Have liquid ingredients at 80º F and all others at room temperature. Place ingredients in pan in the order specified in your owner’s manual. Select basic cycle and medium/ normal crust. Raisins can be added 5 minutes before the end of the last kneading. Do not use the delay timer. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 tablespooon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. Remove bread when cycle is finished; cool. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
- Using ingredient amounts listed for medium loaf, combine yeast, 1 cup flour, and other dry ingredients, except raisins. Combine liquids and heat to 120º to 130º F.
- Hand-Held Mixer Method
- Combine dry mixture and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl on low speed. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. By hand, stir in raisins and enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Use additional flour if necessary.
- Standard Mixer Method
- Combine dry mixture and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Gradually add raisins and remaining flour and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Food Processor Method
- Have all ingredients at room temperature. Put dry mixture in processing bowl with steel blade. While motor is running, add liquid ingredients. Process until mixed. Continue processing, adding remaining flour until dough forms a ball. Add raisins; pulse just until mixed.
Rising, Shaping, and Baking
- After mixing, place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Roll or pat into a 14 x 7-inch rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll. Pinch edges and ends to seal. Place in greased 9 x 5- inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after touching. Bake in preheated 375ºF oven 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from pan; cool.
- You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast for Active Dry Yeast. Traditional methods- replace 1:1. Expect your dough to rise faster; always let your dough rise until ‘ripe’. Bread Machines- use ½ tsp Instant yeast (or ¾ tsp Active Dry yeast) per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information.
- Recipe featured at Zesty South Indian Kitchen.
Serving size: 1 (Med. recipe) Calories: 180 Total Fat: 2g Saturated fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 36g Sugar: 8g Sodium: 200mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 5g Cholesterol: 0mg