Sun-Dried Tomato Cheese Bread
This bread is filled with the flavors of sun-dried tomatoes, fresh herbs, and Parmesan cheese.
Yield: 1 loaf
- ⅞ cup water
- ¼ cup plain yogurt (optional - use fat-free)
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese (optional - use fat-free)
- 8 halves sun-dried tomatoes, rehydrated*
- 2¼ tsp (1 package) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
BREAD MACHINE METHOD
- Place room temperature ingredients in pan in order listed. Select basic/white cycle and medium crust. Do not use the delay timer. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 Tbsp at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 Tbsp of flour at a time. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information. Remove bread when cycle is finished; cool on wire rack.
- Combine yeast, 1½ cups flour, salt, sugar, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning. Heat yogurt and water to 120°-130°F. Add liquids to flour mixture. Beat 3 minutes on medium speed. Add sun-dried tomatoes, and remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic. Place in lightly greased bowl. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
SHAPING, RISING AND BAKING
- Punch down dough. Roll or pat into a 14 x 7-inch rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll with each turn. Pinch edges and ends to seal. Place in greased 8 x 4-inch bread pan. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe and an indentation remains after lightly touching the side of loaf. Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack.
- You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast for Active Dry Yeast. Traditional methods- replace 1:1. Expect your dough to rise faster; always let your dough rise until ‘ripe’. Bread Machines- use ½ tsp Instant yeast (or ¾ tsp Active Dry yeast) per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information.
- Recipe featured at Completely Delicious.
*Rehydrate sun-dried tomatoes: Place in small bowl, cover with water; let stand 2 hours. Drain well on paper towels.