Easy Egg Bread
Pillow-y soft, enriched with both eggs and butter, slightly sweet. Great for breakfast with butter and jam or accompanying a comforting meal at dinner time.
Yield: 1 large braided loaf
- 4 to 4½ cups bread flour
- 2¼ tsp (1 package) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup milk
- 2 TBSP shortening or butter
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 egg yolk and 1 tsp milk, whisked together (egg wash)
- In large mixer bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt; mix well. In saucepan, heat water, milk and shortening/butter until warm (120-130°F; shortening/butter does not need to melt). Add to flour mixture. Slowly add slightly beaten eggs. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, 5 to 8 minutes. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
- Punch down dough. Divide into 3 parts. On lightly floured surface, roll each third to a 15-inch rope. On greased cookie sheet loosely braid from center to ends. Pinch ends and tuck under to seal. Cover; let rise in warm place until indentation remains after lightly touching. Brush with egg wash. Bake at 400°F for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet; cool on wire rack.
- This recipe is featured at A Treats Affair.