Cheesy Pesto Breadsticks
Soft breadsticks filled with delicious sweet basil pesto and ooey gooey cheese. They are guaranteed to steal the show at dinner!
Yield: 4-5 servings
- 1 cup warm water (about 110-115°F)
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons (one ¼ oz. package) RED STAR Quick Rise Yeast
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup pesto
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup melted butter
- Add warm water to a large mixing bowl and add sugar and yeast. Stir to combine and set aside for about 5 minutes or until mixture is bubbly.
- Add olive oil and stir to combine.
- Add 1 cup of flour and salt. Stir to combine. Continue adding flour ¼ cup at a time until mixture forms a dough ball and pulls away from sides of the bowl.
- Place dough on a floured surface and knead 3-5 minutes adding more flour as needed. Dough should no longer be sticky.
- Cover and allow to rise 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down and roll into a 12 x 15 -inch (approximate) rectangle.
- Spread pesto over dough and sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese.
- Press lightly on cheese to help it stick to the dough and pesto layers.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut into 1 inch strips.
- Fold strips in half and twist together. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush with melted butter and serve immediately or at room temperature.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Recipe created by Miss in the Kitchen.