CHEWY OR CRISPY CRUST
- Use a recipe that has water as its liquid.
- Brush with water before baking and again during the first few minutes of baking.
- Combine 1 egg white with 1 tablespoon water and brush dough.
SOFT AND TENDER CRUST
- Use a recipe that has milk as its liquid.
- Brush crust with butter immediately after baking.
SHINY AND GOLDEN CRUST
- Brush with milk before baking.
- Brush with Egg Glaze before baking: Combine 1 slightly beaten egg with 1 tablespoon water or milk.
- Brush with Egg Wash before baking: Slightly beaten whole egg.
NOTE: Doughs are usually brushed with an egg glaze after rising in the pan and before baking to allow for optimum rising of the dough. Brush dough gently with a soft pastry or feather brush so as not to puncture the dough.