Growth #2 – Is Yeast Alive?
IS YEAST ALIVE?
- 2 glass measuring cups, 1-cup capacity each
- granulated sugar
- thermometer (to measure water temperature)
- warm water (110° to 115°F)
- 1 packet of Active Dry Yeast (a packet is 1/4 ounce, or 2-1/4 tsp)
1. Make a yeast solution using 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°F), 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/4 ounce package of Active Dry Yeast.
2. Each day, transfer 1 teaspoon of original yeast solution to a NEW solution of 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°F) and 1 teaspoon sugar.
3. Make another sugar solution and add 1 teaspoon water daily.
4. Keep a record of your progress for five (5) days.
OBSERVATIONS & CONCLUSION
1. What do you observe happening to each of your containers?
2. Does the yeast culture continue to multiply even though it becomes diluted by the daily transfer?