Fermentation #2 – Temperature
WHAT EFFECT DOES TEMPERATURE HAVE ON THE FERMENTATION OF YEAST?
- 2 empty, clean 1-litre soda bottles
- 2 latex balloons
- 2 rubber bands
- glass measuring cup, 1-cup capacity
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- water, room temperature
- 2 packets of Active Dry Yeast (each packet is 1/4 ounces or 2 -1/4 tsp)
1. Fill each soda bottle with one 1/4 ounce packet of Active Dry Yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour and 1 cup of room temperature water.
2. Set one bottle in a vessel with warm water.
3. Set the other bottle in a vessel with ice water.
4. Secure a balloon on top of each bottle with a rubber band.
5. Observe and record results. Keep both containers at a constant temperature.
OBSERVATIONS & CONCLUSION
1. What effect does temperature have on the fermentation of yeast?
2. When was the difference noticeable?