Sweet Potato Marshmallow Cinnamon Rolls
These rolls have a subtle sweet potato flavor with gooey marshmallows melted inside, mixed with brown sugar and butter. Topped off with a drizzle of marshmallow glaze.
Yield: 9 rolls
For the rolls:
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- ¼ cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 egg
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
For the filling:
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
For the glaze:
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Pinch salt
- 1½ Tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, heat milk and butter until butter is just melted. Remove from heat; cool to about 100-110°F. Stir in yeast to dissolve; let sit 10 minutes until slightly foamy.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, stir together mashed sweet potato and egg.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add flour mixture to mashed sweet potato mixture; stir to combine. Slowly add yeast mixture, stirring on low speed. Knead dough by hand on a lightly floured countertop 8 to 10 minutes, adding more flour as needed to make a smooth, soft and slightly sticky dough OR knead dough in stand mixer with dough hook attachment on medium speed 6 minutes, adding more flour as needed to make a smooth, soft and slightly sticky dough.
- Shape dough into a ball; transfer to a large, lightly greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, until doubled.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Punch down risen dough, then transfer to a lightly floured countertop. Roll or pat out into a 9x9-inch square. Brush top with melted butter, then sprinkle evenly with brown sugar and cinnamon. Top with marshmallows.
- Roll dough up tightly into a log; pinch seam to seal. Use a sharp knife to slice log into 9 equal rolls. Place each roll, cut-side up, in a lightly greased 9x9-inch pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 20 to 30 minutes until slightly puffy.
- Bake rolls 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown and baked through. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze: In a medium bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla and salt. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine butter and water. Stir until butter melts, then add mini marshmallows. Stir until melted, then whisk into sugar mixture.
- Pour glaze evenly over warm rolls. Serve warm or room temperature.
- Recipe created by Girl Versus Dough.