Strawberry Coffee Cake
Strawberry preserves are tucked under a crunchy topping in this easy coffee cake.
Yield: One 9-inch coffeecake
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup milk
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 Tbsp shortening
- 1 egg
- ½ cup strawberry, peach or apricot preserves
For the topping:
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup flaked coconut
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- In large mixer bowl, combine 1 cup flour, yeast, sugar, nutmeg and salt; mix well. In saucepan, heat milk, water and shortening until warm (120°-130°F; shortening does not need to melt). Add to flour mixture. Add egg. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in remaining flour to make a stiff batter. Spread in greased 9-inch square cake pan.
- Prepare Topping: Combine all Topping ingredients. Set aside.
- Spread preserves over batter; sprinkle with Topping. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 45 minutes. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm.
- Red Star Yeast recipe. Image by Take A Megabite.