Pear and Pecan Streusel Focaccia
This Pear & Pecan Streusel Focaccia is great for breakfast, brunch or snack-time. Airy, chewy focaccia bread is lightly sweetened with a topping of fresh pears and brown sugar-pecan streusel.
Yield: 1 focaccia
For the dough:
- 1¾ cups (14 oz, 400 ml) warm tap water
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- ¼ cup (1.75 oz, 49g) olive oil
- 1½ tsp table salt
- 4¼ cups (22 oz, 623g) all-purpose flour
For the pecan streusel:
- ⅓ cup (2.5 oz, 70 grams) brown sugar
- ⅓ cup (2.5 oz, 70 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (4 oz, 115 grams) pecans
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 2 oz (1/2 stick, 55g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup (2 oz, 55g) cake flour
- Egg wash: Whisk together 1 egg + 1 tsp water
- 2 ripe pears, cored and cut into ½-inch cubes
- Make the dough:
- Combine the water with yeast, oil and salt to a mixer bowl. Add 2 cups of all-purpose flour and mix to combine, using the paddle attachment. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and rest the batter for 20 minutes.
- Switch to the dough hook attachment and add the remaining all-purpose flour. Knead on medium-low speed for 15 minutes (speed 3-4 on stand mixer). The dough will be quite sticky but should also be very stretchy and will cling to the hook and clear the sides of the bowl.
- Scrape the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat the dough. Cover and set aside in a warm place to double in volume, about 1 - 1½ hours.
- Punch down down and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough for a few minutes, then return to the bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, take the dough out of the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F convection or 400°F regular oven.
- Lightly grease a ½ sheet pan with olive oil. Carefully place the dough onto the oiled pan and flip it over to coat the dough with a film of oil.
- Use your fingers to spread the dough to about a ½" thick. You can shape it into desired shape - round, oval or rectangle; cover. Allow the dough to rise for about 1 hour until a finger poked in the dough leaves a dimple.
- Make the Streusel:
- Put the pecans, both sugars and the spices into a food processor. Pulse until the nuts are ground into small chunks. Add the butter and cake flour, process until the streusel forms large clumps.
- Prepare pears: Core and cut pears into ½-inch cubes.
- Lightly brush the top of the risen dough with egg wash to help the toppings stick. Use your fingers to dimple the top of the dough all over.
- Press the chunks of pear into the dough, spacing them evenly over the focaccia.
- Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the dough, breaking it into small clumps as you go.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until puffed and golden brown.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
- Recipe created by Baking Sense.