Macaroni & Cheese Stuffed Pretzel Bites with Bacon
Chewy pretzel bites are stuffed with a creamy mac n' cheese and topped with crispy bacon crumbs.
Yield: 24 pretzel bites
For the pretzels:
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- 1½ cups warm water (110-115°F)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½ pounds pre-made macaroni and cheese
- 8 slices cooked bacon, chopped into fine crumbles
- 3 quarts water (for pretzel bath)
- ¾ cup baking soda (for pretzel bath)
- 1 large egg, whisked (for egg wash)
For the cheese dipping sauce:
- 1¼ cups grated cheddar
- ½ cup beer
- 1 Tbsp flour
- ½ Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 6 Tbsp milk
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a small bowl combine the warm water and yeast. Whisk gently and let sit for five minutes.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, salt and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Add the water/yeast mixture to the flour mixture and mix with a wooden spoon or your hands until it becomes a ball.
- Transfer to a stand mixer with a dough hook. Mix on low speed for about 5 minutes and the dough has came together. Turn dough out onto a clean work surface dusted lightly with flour and knead the dough into an even ball shape.
- Grease the large bowl you just used with the olive oil. Place the dough into the greased bowl and cover with a cloth. Let it rest until it has doubled in size.
- Once it has doubled, turn it back out onto your work area and gently punch it down with your fingers until it's about an inch thick.
- Cut the dough in a grid-like pattern creating squares about 2x2-inches.
- Roll out each piece of dough roughly into a circle shape. Place a teaspoon of macaroni n' cheese in the center of the dough.
- Bring two sides of the dough into the middle to meet and pinch. Bring the other sides of the dough into the middle and pinch all the parts creating a seal on the bottom of the now stuffed pretzel bite.
- Roll gently in the palm of your hand to get an even circle and set on a baking tray.
- Bring the three quarts of water to a boil. When the water is boiling, add the baking soda and stir. Be careful because it'll foam up. Stir. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line two baking trays with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the pretzel bites to the boiling water, a few at a time, and boil for about one minute. Drain with a slotted spoon and transfer back to the tray.
- Once the pretzels have all been boiled, place them on parchment lined trays proper side up.
- Brush each pretzel bite with the egg wash and press some of the bacon crumbs on top.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes and the bites have a nice dark color to them.
- Let them cool while you make the sauce.
- In a small pot, bring the beer to a boil. Add the flour and simmer for five minutes.
- Add the cheese, mustard and milk. Whisk until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add a little more milk if the sauce is too thick. You can also reheat it in the microwave if it becomes cool and thickens.
- Recipe created by Foodness Gracious.