Lemon Cream Cranberry Loaf
THIS RECIPE MAKES 1 LOAF
Yield: 12 Servings
- ¾ cup (175 mL) milk
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) butter
- ¾ tsp (3 mL) salt
- 3 cups (750 mL) Bread flour
- 3 tbsp (50 mL) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Bread Machine Yeast
- 1 cup (250 mL) cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup (125 mL) sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) flour
- 3 tsp. (15 mL) lemon zest
- ½ cup (125 mL) fresh or frozen whole cranberries
- Have liquid ingredients at 80º F and all others at room temperature. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
- Add ingredients to machine according to manufacturer's directions. Select dough cycle.
- Once cycle is complete, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; let rest 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese, egg, sugar, flour and zest; set aside. Lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside.
- Roll dough into a 15 x 10-inch (37.5 x 25 cm) rectangle, transfer to prepared baking sheet. Spread the cheese filling down the center of the dough in a 3- inch (7.5 cm) wide strip. Sprinkle cranberries evenly over filling. With sharp knife or scissors, slit dough at 1-inch (2.5 cm) intervals along each side of filling. Fold strip diagonally over filling, alternating from side to side. Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.
- Note: For a soft crust, brush the top of bread with butter as soon as it comes out of the oven.