Cheesy Pizza Rolls
Chewy pizza dough made into dinner rolls, filled with extra cheese, sauce and any of your favorite pizza toppings.
Yield: 8 rolls
- 1 ½ - 1 ¾ cups bread flour
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup warm water (110-115°F)
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup your favorite pizza sauce
- In a small bowl combine warm water with yeast, and set aside until foamy.
- Once the yeast is ready, combine 1½ cups of flour, honey, salt, olive oil and yeast mixture together in a mixing bowl. Stir together with dough whisk or wooden spoon. Add in additional flour (1 tbsp at a time), if the dough appears to be too sticky.
- Once dough comes together and is just barely sticky, knead on a lightly floured surface until it is nice and elastic. About 6-8 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased mixing bowl, cover with a dish towel and set in a warm place to rise until doubled in size. About 15-30 minutes.
- Once dough has risen, punch down and separate into about 8 equal sized balls.
- Carefully stretch each ball, just as you would a pizza, until it is about 3 inches across. Do not stretch too thin, or else the dough will rip in the center.
- In the center of each of your “mini pizzas” place a small dollop of pizza sauce and top with a small mound of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Carefully bring the sides of the dough up, pinching together and enclosing the sauce and cheese.
- Once sealed, place seam side down in a greased pie plate or cake pan.
- After all of your rolls are assembled, top with any remaining cheese. Bake at 375°F, for about 20 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly and enjoy.
- Recipe created by Baked New England.
You can dip rolls in extra sauce if desired, or add your favorite pizza toppings to the cheese and sauce mixture before baking.